Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:20:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alan@niceguy.isocor.ie (Alan Byrne)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Corruption Problem

> I'm seeing a strange problem with some files getting corrupted on a
> FreeBSD disk.
>
> The machine in question is running 2.0.5-950622-SNAP.
>
> I am using it as a News Server, NFS Server, Mail (POP & SMTP) Server,
> Samba Server, and for storing some source code with RCS. All work very
> well except for the following...
>
> The problem is with our RCS files, every few days, one or two rcs files
> appear with 1024 null characters in it, overwriting a block of valid data
> in the file (loads of these -  ^@^@^@^@^@^@^) ouch !
>
> The RCS tree is NFS mounted on a number of various unix platforms, and
> people check-out and check-in the files on these platforms (over NFS).
> Could the problem be related to NFS file locking problems, or is it a
> symptom of some other form of filesystem corruption.

Are you doing potentially simultaneous updates?

The problem is that RCS doesn't support this; use CVS instead (it's built
on top of RCS).

If  you get multiple updates, a second problem will surface; there is no
NFS lock support, so updates over NFS could interfere with each other
(and in fact will cause zero-filled pages if one client updates an area
following another clients update of the area just previous).

Either use a multiple reader/single writer interface to obtain write access
in the first place to prevent collisions, or use the newly released CVS
client/server code (get it from the CVS home site; it's in the CVS readme
in ports).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---