Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:38:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        roberte@ghost.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (roberte)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resolver on 2.2-BETA

Hello,

thanks to all who replied to my question about the resolver in 2.2 !

Let me summarize:

I wrote:
> after upgrading to 2.2-BETA_A I noticed that something has changed with
> the resolver.
> In releases up to 2.1.5 it was sufficient for me to type e.g.
> `telnet hadron.tp2' to reach a different subdomain in the same
> domain of our university. (The resolver tried besides `hadron.tp2' also
> `hadron.tp2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' and `hadron.tp2.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de')
>
> However, now `telnet hadron.tp2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' (or the IP#, which
> is shorter :-) is required.
[..]
> /etc/resolv.conf:
> domain  mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
> nameserver      134.147.6.1
[..]
> Can I configure something to get the old behaviour, is this a bug
> or was it done to comply with some standard ?

The answer is `Yes, I can do something.' and `It was done to comply
with RFC1535 to close a vulnerability in old "all too-forgiving DNS
clients"'.

To obtain the old behaviour /etc/resolv.conf should read:
   search  mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de ruhr-uni-bochum.de
   nameserver      134.147.6.1

This should be done, however, only(!) when one can trust not only
the administrator of `mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' but also the one of
`ruhr-uni-bochum.de' (in this example).

BEWARE:
  This leaves still a hole as I might want to reach a host
  `tp2.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' by typing only `tp2' which doesn't
  exist, but which might resolve to `tp2.ruhr-uni-bochum.de', which
  might be a CNAME for a machine that appears to be
  `tp2.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de' and asks for my login and password ...

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)