Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 95 16:58:33 EST
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.org, hoppy@appsmiths.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: >1024 cyl IDE drive

> > Ummm... Why can't you just rewrite the MBR with fdisk or something??
>

> What do you do about the factory installed Windows and other software
> on the disk already, that depends on the geometry staying put?

I guess then we're out of luck...  I just noticed a message from
someone else about the # of heads getting translated to > 16...
I think this is what I ran into as well.   A re-install of the dos
stuff must be done in this case, I guess.  (Or just leave it out
completely (: )  Perhaps someone could make the wd driver use
translations with >16 heads??  Is it possible to figure out how
the bios/MBR extender is translating the disk??  Am I remembering
incorrectly, or do some DRIVES actually do this >16 head thing too?

About using pre-existing software...
Do people usually use some utility to shrink the partition with the
pre-installed software, then install FreeBSD??

Also, about the MBR based translation schemes...  This will break when
people boot a dos floppy and try to use the hard drive, right???
(I'll have to try it on that machine I just put the 1gig drive on...)

Fred.