Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:30:26 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: repo.txz missong on packages-9-stable for pkg

On 20/12/2012 13:06, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I want to test new "pkg" tool, but it complains that there is no
> repo.txz file on the repository:
>
>  # pkg install libreoffice
>  Updating repository catalogue
>  pkg: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/All//repo.txz:
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>
> I have set PACKAGESITE to packages-9-stable repository :-)

Yes.  If anyone hasn't yet heard: the pkgbeta repository has been wiped
and contains only a txz for pkg itself.  The production pkgng package
building systems are not available yet.

To a large extent, this is fall-out from the security compromise last
month.  The people who would be bringing the pkg build cluster on-line
are busy dealing with rebuilding and securing other FreeBSD servers.
There has also been a fairly fundamental rethink on the software being
used to build packages distributed over that cluster in the light of the
compromise.

So, the upshot is: pre-compiled binary packages are not currently
available for pkgng[*].  Your choices are: wait until the new package
systems come on-line (but there isn't even an ETA for that at the
moment), or compile your own using poudriere or similar.

> Will this support stable packages or a release only?

For the vast majority of pkgs, so long as they are built for the same OS
major version, they will be compatible.  The plan is to build on the
earliest supported release version for each major version, as this will
maximize compatibility for all releases and -STABLE versions from that
major.  Certain packages like lsof (which "know" entirely too much about
kernel internals) may need to be built from ports rather than available
as generic binaries, but there are literally only a handful of those.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Building of pkg_tools binary packages has also been affected, but
the impact is less as older packages are still available.