Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:17:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kehlet <kehlet@dt.wdc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can "bdes" and Solaris "crypt" be compatible?

If I encrypt a file under Solaris with /usr/bin/crypt:

hydra-X4:/home/kehlet/junk-> crypt < DAEMON >! out
Enter key: foobar
hydra-X4:/home/kehlet/junk->

I cannot decrypt it with bdes under FreeBSD:

daemon:/home/kehlet/junk-> bdes -d < out
Enter key: foobar
daemon:/home/kehlet/junk->                          !w2S
~p>V1|'.~C`n\H/TLdFB#Ixj0Bn.da%]GCyF
`~8eIJiW1x\qWFYwKKFa2ne@kwfr]BvvuZvPxH}J~b[svbFwH):BDO`ab9P1#usyeM#|)Qlyr#DmldE$)RaIk
l&&Q?sV;JseGK~AD7.Jk9q,1=cVb"
FYt\pG[E;=cVwqx6cZ'-<(?ac   0              d}DRG:

Is there any way to make them compatible?  If not, is there any
other way I can swap encrypted files between the machines short of
compiling bdes under Solaris (which no one else here would use)?

Thanks,

Steve Kehlet