Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2017 20:44:58 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Karli_Sj=C3=B6berg?= <karli.sjoberg@slu.se>, "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>, "Shiva Bhanujan" <Shiva.Bhanujan@quorum.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, "Jeremy Faulkner" <gldisater@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD restartable send/receive over WAN

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:04:16 +0100, Shiva Bhanujan  =

<Shiva.Bhanujan@quorum.net> wrote:

> thanks for all the pointers for the compression algorithms.  I ran a f=
ew  =

 =

 =

> would actively eliminate this overhead, given that we use lz4 as the  =

> compression algorithm when writing to disks.

Why don't you test this with a network in between? That would give much =
 =

more valuable numbers to compare for your use case.
The number above say nothing about the gain vs the bottleneck you are  =

trying to remove.

Ronald.

> ________________________________

I  =

  =

>> -> uncompress (gzip) -> zfs recv (compress) -> disk (lz4)
>> >
>> > isn't this quite expensive?  We have to transfer multi terabyte fil=
es  =

 =

>> single-threaded, so that'd peg one of the CPUs to 100%.  there might =
be  =

  =

>> it is compressed on the filesystem is something that would be optimal=
,  =

  =

>> are taking place?
>>
>> Without going into the efficiency part of your message:
>>
>> archivers/pigz: Parallel GZIP
>> archivers/pbzip2: Parallel BZIP2
>> archivers/pixz: Parallel, indexing version of XZ
>> archivers/pxz: Parallel LZMA compressor using liblzma
>
> Also worth mentioning is, obviously:
> archivers/lz4
>
> :)
>
> /K