Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:04:04 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Architecture <arch@FreeBSD.org>, bde@zeta.org.au, obrien@nuxi.com, nate@yogotech.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ar Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as Makefile.inc0 src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ranlib Makefile

"Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:52:42AM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> > I'd like to note this was added by green so he could use ksh with
> > make.
>
> I think the better way to accomplish that is to replace /bin/sh with
> ksh93 :-)   But I'm not volunteering to update /etc/rc* at this time,
> no matter how trivial the required modifications appear to be.

The change was made so that I could gain a good 10% speed increase on make
world by using a better shell.  Using ksh93 as an option would be good,
too... may as well test that out and add it.   As far as csh being an
option, it really must be to be consistent with the source containing that
ability already.  I don't oppose a "default" DEFSHELL so it isn't necessary
to be set by the Makefile or whatever.

As far as making rc compatible with ksh... ksh is a _super_set of the POSIX
shell, not a completely, totally new language.  This means in all but the
most esoteric cases, it will act exactly the same (or better, but compatibly
so).  I tested replacing /bin/sh with pdksh and it worked perfectly with
every single shell script I have or is in the system; I'm certain ksh93 will
also be just as fine (probably better, but having switched over yet ;)