Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 23:37:55 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        "Ricardo Nunez" <rinunez@telcel.net.ve>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD

At 10:29 PM 3/25/97 -0400, Ricardo Núñez wrote:
>Dear Gentlemen,
>
>We have a lot of doubts about choosing Linux or FreeBSD.
>
>We´d thank you very much if you answered this questions:

There was just a thread on this, you should check the archive.

And at least it didn't start a flame war.  8-)

>1) Do you know if (like FreeBSD) there are people responsible for Linux
>official versions handling?

More people are.  FBSD has a smaller core group, which in some places is
considered more stable.

>2) We think that Linux is much more used than FreeBSD, but on the other
>hand FreeBSD is much more stable than Linux... Is it true that FreeBSD´s
>much more stable? The stability´s the most important point for us.

Depends on what they are doing.  I would guess that more end users have
Linux, but don't care to guess if FBSD is more popular than Linux in an ISP
environment and if there were stats on this I would further like to see a
break down on the size of the ISP as well.

FWIW, I refuse to admin a Linux box.  If a customer has one, I get paid by
the hour for help.  Opionions and overviews of what to do/use are FOC (and
no I don't say dump Linux).

All a matter of preference and there are several distributions of Linux to
further confuse your choice.

My vote to FBSD.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990