Date:      Wed, 9 May 2018 09:22:44 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current state of Intel support

On 05/09/2018 09:15, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 08/05/2018 08:14, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>> On 05/08/18 10:01, Zane C. B-H. wrote:
>>> I am curious, where are we at on 11 stable when it comes to support
>>> for newer Intel chipsets? Just wondering how usable X is when it
>>> comes to x5-Z8350 Cherry trail or the like.
>>
>> Hi!
>> I don't know the exact details, but the graphics/drm-stable-kmod and
>> graphics/drm-next-kmod ports provides support for intel graphics (and
>> AMD) on 11 stable and the upcoming release.  This corresponds to
>> linux kernel 4.9 and 4.11 support, respectively. You can try either
>> of those.
>> Regards
>
> Is 11 stable the same as 11 release? I heard one needs to recompile
> the kernel to enable support for those ports? In other words, what
> would someone on 11 release have to do in order to install one of the
> linux 4.9 drivers for their amd/intel cards?

hey there - so 11.1-RELEASE is different that 11-STABLE.  this link has
more info:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

the tl;dr version is that we have three branches CURRENT (which is the
bleeding edge and where new releases will eventually be cut from),
STABLE (which is a development branch of a given release) and RELEASE
(which is well the release branch and can be considered suitable for
production environments).

if you are running 11-STABLE you should be able to install the
drm-next-kmod port or pkg like this for example:
$ sudo pkg install drm-next-kmod

and things should work.  if you are keen to stay on the 11.1-RELEASE
your best bet will be to wait until 11.2-RELEASE which i *think* will
have the needed support in place for the drm-next-kmod to work on most
newer intel and amd GPU's.

-pete

--
Pete Wright