Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:32:20 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Marc Bouget <mbouget@club-internet.fr>
Subject:   I2C and SMB development status

Hi there,

I'd like to synchronize current works on I2C and SMB

Here we have developed an I2C framework with a PCF (master/slave) driver.
It looks like this:

+---------+ +----------+
+---------+ +----------+

+----------------------+
+----------------------+

+---------+ +----------+
|  pcf    | | bit-bang |		ADAPTERS
+---------+ +----------+

iic: master polled I/O allows to access any chip on the i2c bus
if_ic: point to point IP driver over i2c
iicbus: i2c bus generic code (exactly like ppbus for parallel port)
pcf: pcf driver
bit-bang: bit banging driver not yet ported from Peter Dufault code
(Peter, would you have time/want to port your big-banging code?)

A driver could be written for any particular I2C chip as a device code
plug over iicbus.

I propose to submit this code, which is quit stable, thanks to the IP
driver. Mike?

I propose the same layout for the SMB part... LM78 as a device,
an smbus, PIIX4 as adapter.

A first smbus adapter driver could be an i2c device ;) Just to implement
SMB command interface.

Is there any SMB/LMxx developments currently?

--
Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org