Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
To:        "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <dune@cats.edu.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI problem (fwd)

First it is a good idea you subscribe to this list if you are running
FreeBSD in ISP environment, I have gotten some realy good advices here.

Second: I had a similar problem a few days ago. My SCSI bus was hungup due
to a bad controller card BT958 which was crapping out during high data
transfers and finaly failed to boot up and detect the SCSI BIOS and all
devices attached to the SCSI bus. My disk also went silent.
My remedy was to try another SCSI controller card ( buy one from a store
that has a return policy) My disk did bootup with onother
SCSI controller but had to replace it because it was damaged by the bad
controller card. If this does not work try replacing the disk.
If your SCSI controller does not scan the SCSI BIOS during bootup you have
a bad Controller! If controller bootsup OK and does not detect SCSI
devices you check for termination cable length e.t.c
Did you replace/change anything in the SCSI chain lately?

the Error ncr:0:0:0 refers to the SCSi controller itself

dan