Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:12:57 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE list <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.7 available this weekend

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:33:33AM -0600, Virtual Bob wrote:
> > Things to deal with--it can run in 8meg RAM, supposedly, but if you
> > install fresh, you need at least 20meg RAM for sysinstall to run.  I tried
> > a buildworld on it just for fun last year, but gave up after it ran for
> > several days.  I just run buildworld on a faster machine, then NFS mount
> > and installworld on the '386.  It works fine like that, and it hasn't had
> > any problems running 3-STABLE and 4-STABLE.
>
> I got the odd-ball TI486/33 here... It's (soldered) on a 386SX-16
> motherboard, which automatically limits it to 16MB RAM max.
>
> I had no problem installing 3.2-R, and have TI486 chug through 3.5-S. I
> believe I posted about this before -- it took about 4 or 5 days to build &
> install world completely.
>
> Doing it once was fun, but I have no more wish to doing it again any
> time in the future. Now like you've said, I just buildworld on faster
> machine and do NFS then installworld on that TI486.
>
> The 'ol handbook says 3.2 (or 3.1? something...) can be run on 5MB RAM,
> but bit more during install. My guess is 8MB RAM.

Actually the documentation for 3.2 said that it could run with 4 MB RAM but
needed at least 5 MB RAM to install. I haven't tested if that is true but I
do know that 3.2 can be installed with 8 MB RAM. The memory needed to
install increased with 3.3 or 3.4.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson