Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:59:45 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1-PRE: updating of pkg-1.0.3 -> pkg-1.0.4 fails

--------------enig0A09D2A0D9BBFBF577E6D48E

Am 12/28/12 23:04, schrieb Baptiste Daroussin:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:39:00PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:

>>> Hm, can you look into the directory /var/db/pkg and check there a no =
leftovers from the old pkg tools (directories).
>>> If there are any old directories the pre-everything target will be ex=
ecuted and you see this failure.
>>> What gives the command pkg_info as output?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> olli
>>>

>> portmaster installs for each port still a directory in /var/db/pkg - s=
>> there are plenty of directories.
>>
>> I deleted them all and tried again - this time the update worked.
>>
>> This is very strange and seems to be unlogical.
>>
>> Oliver
>>
>=20
>=20
> Some of them were not only portmaster distfiles. Some where leftovers f=
rom your
> conversion, (the ones with +CONTENTS in them) given that iirc you are n=
ow using
> pkgng for long, I guess, that it doesn't matter at all, and the left ov=
ers were
> "fixed" by your regular updates.
>=20
> regards,
> Bapt
>=20

Well,
talking about this specific pkgng update problem leads to other problems
of installing software. I can not say whether it is a
portmaster-specific problem or the way PKGNG keeps data, but like
OpenCV, there are other ports failing to compile or install or update
properly due to "leftovers" made by portmaster in /var/db/pkg. Deleting
them makes things go well again - partially.

In one case of my servers I can assure that there were no use of any
old-style package tools! By beginning of November this year I set up a
new server with FreeBSD 10-CURRENT using purely PKGNG. Since portmaster
tends to be problematic those days due to lack of adaption, I used
portupgrade for a while, but moved for maintainance to portmaster after
the patch to portmaster for PKGN has been commited. Since then,
portmaster installs its files in /var/db/pkg - no "leftover" files. And
on that machine those problems also occur with failing updates.

Regards,

Oliver