Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:38:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "David L. Vondrasek" <dallas.tx@airmail.net>
To:        Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, djv@lucy.bedford.net
Cc:        (David Vondrasek) <david@davidv.iadfw.net>
Subject:   Re: Mail server probles ( I think )

Ok THANKS, I'm replying to this from  `workbox` you can see the path
below it took to get to me.

On 27-Sep-98 Woodchuck wrote:
> XF-Source: david

This is the box ON THE NET

> workbox.davidv.iadfw.net (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id LAA18632 for
> <david@workbox.davidv.iadfw.net>; Sun, 27 Sep 1998 11:03:56 -0500 (CDT)

This is the boc BEHIND `davidv` called `workbox` ,( this macine. If I CC
this to the list it will BOUMCE, I'll CC also and get the bounce and send
it to you also so you can see the reason it gives.

> (envelope-from listread@lucy.bedford.net)
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:04:44 -0400 (EDT)
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 11:04:44 -0500 (CDT)
> XFMstatus: 0002
> From: Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net>
> To: (David Vondrasek) <david@davidv.iadfw.net>
> Subject: Re: Mail server probles ( I think )

>Hi, this mail is coming from a host (castor.chuck) behind a machine
>(lucy.chuck/lucy.bedford.net) (the latter is a "good" IPA).
>I.e. from a machine like workbox.

But NONE of your headers above show the `machine behind` all of yours
show ONE machine. `lucy.bedford.net` that is the same as my
davidv.iadfw.net machine and I have no problems with that address.

>It is being generated by a user "listread".

>It should appear to you to have come from "lucy.bedford.net", and to
>be From: djv@bedford.net  (ISP's pop service). and to have a REPLY-TO
>for that address also.

>Could you reply to this mail /from workbox/, with, also a
>CC to djv@lucy.bedford.net? (I can look at your headers that way).

DONE

>I will keep "lucy" on line for a while.

>Questions:  Is the connection to davidv full time or dialup?

yes it is STATIC and dedicated 24/7 connection.

>I am doing two things:  masquerading "castor.chuck" as
>"lucy.bedford.net",
>and forging a From: header.

That's what I have to do I guess.. but I may have my box set incorect.

Thanks....

>Dave V  [by coincidence -- gotta stick together, life is hell at the
         end of the collating order :) ]

David Vondrasek wrote:
> I home someone can help me with a server setting or maybe I'm just
stuck.
> When I try and email the questions list, or several other mail servers
for
> that matter I the message refused due to the headers. My system
consists of
> 2 fbsd boxs ( and some Win95 boxs) on an internal network. It has a
dedicated
> IP and resolves to davidv.iadfw.net, This is my gateway for the local
> network and serves as the mail server for outbound and some incoming
mail
for
> my home network. All works fine sending the mail from this box, (
> davidv.iadfw.net does resolve ) But if I send mail from the other FBSD
box
> behind the gateway I get refused at the servers due to this:

> " workbox.davidv.iadfw.net " will not resolve. Maybe I'm not setting up
the
> network naming correct or something. Is there a way to get around this ?
> How can I use my *nice/fast/X-win/mega memmory/SuperVGA/have to have it*
> fbsd box and still email from it.
>
> I have tried telling it the SMTP server of the GATEWAY and also letting
the
> machine's own sendmail mail it, But "  workbox.davidv.iadfw.net " always
> shows in the headers and it rejects it.
>
> Help ?
>

> --
>
> David L. Vondrasek
> davidvon@airmail.net

---
David Vondrasek                                 byteme@airmail.net

--You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????