Date:      Tue, 26 May 2009 01:59:58 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        rnoland@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: re-probing DDC/EDID

Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 14:12 -0700, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org!rnoland@agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If you look at your xorg log, you should see the modes
> > > that are probed and calculated for the display.
> >
> > Indeed, but only during startup AFAIK.  What I am looking for
> > is a way to repeat the probing and calculation, _without_
> > restarting X.  And yes, I recognize that -- since X is not
> > being restarted -- such an operation will not affect what is
> > being displayed:  it will only produce a report.
> >
> > The question is, is this possible?
>
> I am fairly certain that this happens when you do an "xrandr -q"
> Have you actually tried any of the things that I've suggested?

Yes.  You suggested:

* Running "xrandr -q".  I previously provided the output from having
  done so, noting that it appeared to be reporting the monitor info
  pertaining to the older monitor -- thus presumably cached at
  startup -- rather than anything which might have been produced
  by rerunning the probe after I had switched to the new monitor.
  There are at least three resolutions provided by the new monitor
  which are not in the "xrandr -q" report, and two of them (720x400
  and 640x350) are smaller than the old maximum of 1280x1024 and thus
  presumably should not have been suppressed based on being too large
  to be usable by the currently-running server.  Furthermore, the
  342mm x 271mm screen dimensions reported by "xrandr -q" are those
  of the old monitor; the new one is about 517mm x 324mm.

* Finding out which display driver is being used.  I replied that,
  based on the xorg.conf produced by -configure, it appeared to be
  ATI.  (If there is a better way to find out, I don't know about it.)

* Removing the modelines from xorg.conf.  I have not tried that, but
  I have observed that "xrandr -q" does not seem to cause xorg.conf
  to be reread, unless it is somehow able to do it without updating
  any of the inode's three timestamps.  (I'd expect it to update the
  access time, or perhaps the inode-change time instead if it were
  going to the trouble of explicitly setting the access time to its
  prior value.)  Thus I don't suppose that any change to xorg.conf
  would become effective until a restart of X.

* Looking in the xorg log file, after running "xrandr -q", for a new
  probe report.  "xrandr -q" does not seem to have appended anything
  to the xorg log file, nor does its manpage indicate that it should.