Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:46:08 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell command not working in ppp.linkdown

Mark Ovens wrote:

> I start xtimer from /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup using
>
>  bg xtimer
>
> but trying to kill it in ppp.linkdown with:
>
>  shell kill `cat /tmp/xtimer.pid`
>
> doesn't work (/tmp/xtimer.pid contains *only* the pid). No errors
> anywhere, xtimer just keeps running, however:
>
>  shell killall xtimer
>
> does work.
>
> Anyone any idea why the former doesn't work?

AIUI, PPP doesn't pass the command to /bin/sh, and it doesn't understand
the backticks. (I think this was the case at some point, though it may
have changed while I wasn't looking.) Try

 shell sh -c "kill `cat /tmp/xtimer.pid`"

or something, does that work?

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D