Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:39:47 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Henrik Duhalde <panik_70@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD (was: Re: Hi)

A subject line of "Hi" is not very useful, and people may ignore such
messages. I've changed the subject line, although my version is only
slightly more useful.

Henrik Duhalde wrote:

> Hi i have a minder problem. How do i rekognise the proper partition. Likley
> windows = c:\ fat32
> freebsd = d:\ not formated. It is a hde hardisk.

"c:" and "d:" have no meaning in FreeBSD. Is d: another slice on the
primary master harddisk? Is it the entire primary slave, secondary
master or secondary slave disk? Basically, wd0 is the primary master,
wd1 is the primary slave, wd2 is the secondary master, wd3 is the
secondary slave. If d: is another slice on the same disk as c:, chances
are it's wd0s2 or something. Choose wd0 when you're installing, create
the wd0s2 slice as whatever size you want, and create partitions within
it. If you're giving an entire disk to FreeBSD, just create wd1s1 (or
wd2s1 or wd3s1) using all of the available space, and create partitions
in there.

Note that in FreeBSD's terminology, a "slice" is what Microsoft call
a "partition", and a FreeBSD "partition" is completely different to a
Microsoft "partition".

Last but not least, backup any important data on your system before
installing. No-one except yourself can be held responsible if things go
wrong. That said, I've never had any problems.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and