Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:50:30 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        russ <russ@netmon.imt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:09:34AM -0700, russ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems getting 4.x stable using cvsup.
> If I use the tag RELENG=4 I sometimes get prereleases, maybe stable.
> And of course, if I use the tag RELENG=4_4 I get release, not stable.
> Probably a silly question, but what tag should I use to insure copies of
> 4.x stable?

RELENG_4

Note that -RELEASE, or -PRERELEASE or -RC or whatever are just labels
for the -stable branch at some point in time.

All releases are just snapshots of -STABLE.

It is fairly irrelevant if 'uname -a' says -RELEASE or -STABLE or
-PRERELEASE or somethinh else.
If you cvsup with the RELENG_4 tag you will always get the latest
4.x-stable no matter what it is called at that time.

(I am sure this is covered in some detail in the FAQ, or possibly the
handbook, both of which you should have checked first.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson