Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 11:50:59 +0200
From:      Lukas Razik <lukas@razik.de>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fasttrak TX4310 RAID controller with FreeBSD-6.1

> Von: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
> Lukas Razik wrote:
> >> Von: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>

> >> Please don't cross-post to so many lists; people will be annoyed.
> >>
> >> Did you create a volume through the bios or with atacontrol?
> >>
> >> 	Sam
> >
> > Sorry for crossposting - I tried to get a fast answer because this issue blocks me really very heavily...
> > I created the stripe through the BIOS as I did it with my old HPT370 controller which is also supported by the ata driver.
> > And to access the drives at my HPT370 controller I can use /dev/adX and /dev/ar0
> >
> > More information:
> > There's the same problem with the old (first) BIOS version of the TX4310.
> > The Windows XP installation routine (with the driver floppy disk for the TX4310) does recognize the RAID0 volume.
> >

> Did you try using atacontrol?  I'm not sure the ata driver understands
> the metadata format but if it does then it might work using that instead
> of the bios.

I didn't want to use atacontrol but now it seems if it would be the only way out...
So I did the following with the help of the "live" filesystem from the FreeBSD CD:
atacontrol create RAID0 32 ad6 ad10
with a stripe size of 32*512B=16kB like it's set in the controller's BIOS.

And I've got an ar1 device but I couldn't see any partitions which I created before during the Windows installation...
But then I had the idea to delete the ar1 and to do this:
atacontrol create RAID0 32 ad10 ad6

I changed the order of the two devices (ad6 and ad10) and now I could see my partition table and mount a filesystem...
After a reboot the /dev/ar1 device swaped to /dev/ar0 but it was existent.
So I wanted to try If I can still boot my Windows installation and it was possible - so far so good.

But then I've booted again the FreeBSD CD and wanted to continue with the installation but the /dev/ar0 device was no longer there.
I've repeated all steps and now I know that Windows always "demages" the RAID0 volume which I create by atacontrol...
That's not a big problem because I don't really want to use Windows on my system but I wanted to tell you this facts.
Many thanks for your help!

Regards,
Lukas