Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:28:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com (Cliff Addy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using fbsd as a 10 to 100Mbps bridge

> I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to connect a 10Mbps device to our new
> 100Mbps hub.  I had thought of using some spare parts to build a
> freebsd-based bridge that would have two NICs, one 10 and one 100 and
> have it forward all packets between the two interfaces.  Is this possible
> and how difficult will it be?  How powerful of a cpu would be needed (not
> much, I'd think)?

FreeBSD does not support bridging at the moment, but you can still
configure it as a router between 10/100 networks.

I have some bridging code available from my home page (compiles
under FreeBSD, but it requires no OS to run -- either a .COM file
or a ROM) which only supports "ed" cards (WD8xxx, NE2000, etc.,
both ISA and PCI). I am waiting for someone to add support for "de"
cards (based on the 21x4x chipset) to netboot, at which point it
will be straightforward to build a 10/100 multiport bridge. I have
even tried to port the de driver myself but don't have enough time
(and possibly, skill) to dedicate to this task.

	Luigi