Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:25:16 -0500
From:      Michael Shuey <shuey@fmepnet.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS size reduced, 100% full, on fbsd9 upgrade

I'm upgrading a server from 8.2p6 to 9.0-RELEASE, and I've tried both
make in the source tree and freebsd-update and I get the same strange
result.  As soon as I boot to the fbsd9 kernel, even booting into
single-user mode, the pool's size is greatly reduced.  All filesystems
show 100% full (0 bytes free space), nothing can be written to the
pool (probably a side-effect of being 100% full), and dmesg shows
several of "Solaris: WARNING: metaslab_free_dva(): bad DVA
0:5978620460544" warnings (with different numbers).  Switching kernels
back to the 8.2p6 kernel restores things to normal, but I'd really
like to finish my fbsd9 upgrade.

The system is a 64-bit Intel box with 4 GB of memory, and 8 disks in a
raidz2 pool called "pool".  It's booted to the 8.2p6 kernel now, and
scrubbing the pool, but last time I did this (roughly a week ago) it
was fine.  / is a gmirror, but /usr, /tmp, and /var all come from the
pool.  Normally, the pool has 1.2 TB of free space, and is version 15
(zfs version 4).  Some disks are WD drives, with 4k native sectors,
but some time ago I rebuilt the pool to use a native 4k sector size
(ashift=12).

Over time, I've been slowly replacing disks (1 at a time) to increase
the free space in the pool.  Also, the system experienced severe
failure recently; the power supply blew, and took out the memory (and
presumably motherboard).  I replaced these last week with known-good
board/memory/processor/PS, and it's been running fine since.

Any suggestions?  Is it possible I've got some nasty pool corruption
going on - and if so, how do I go about fixing it?  Any advice would
be appreciated.  This is a backup server, so I could rebuild its
contents from the primary, but I'd rather fix it if possible (since I
want to do a fbsd9 upgrade on the primary next).