Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:24:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need help with meaning of divert

Hi:

I have a firewall using natd.
When I list the rules, I get a rule 0100 divert:

# ipfw list
[...snipped]
00050 allow tcp from any to 24.9.218.175 80 setup
00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via vx0
00150 allow ip from any to any via lo0
[...snipped]

In /etc/rc.firewall I have the rules 0050 and 00150,
but 0100 is added by default (ie, it is not in /etc/rc.firewall)
Can someone explain to me what this rule does?

Also, I copied my original rule set from mostgraveconcern
but found that some of the rules did not work because
they came after rule 100. So, for example, I had to put

  allow tcp from any to 24.9.218.175 80 setup

at 0050 for my webserver to work. I had to do the same
with ssh, cvs and mail. This raises three issues:

  1) It gets kind of crowded below 100
  2) How does one move divert to a higher number
  3) What rules need to be before divert

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org