Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:26:07 +0100
From:      "Lawrence Farr" <l.farr@epcdirect.co.uk>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@FreeBSD.org>, "'Lawrence Farr'" <lawrence@epcdirect.co.uk>
Cc:        "'David Gilbert'" <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, "'Chris BeHanna'" <behanna@zbzoom.net>, "'FreeBSD-Stable'" <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: [stable] Re: RAID5

I did these tests in response to a recent thread on hardware (look for
"3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage").

I had the hardware ready to build when the whole thing came up, and
offered to thrash it in an effort to break it.

OK, what I did was write a small shell script that took a 1Mb dump of
/dev/urandom
And wrote it to disk till it made a ~1Gb file. Then divided seconds
elapsed by filesize
To get a rough average of speed. Then read the file and averaged the
read speed. I did this
Until I had filled the partition (140 passes), then did the whole thing
again for a day or so.