Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:33:17 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        "R. Tyler Ballance" <tyler@tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Garbage thrown into console

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 04:33:55AM -0600, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:
> Howdy, I finally got the console (as in, physical access to the machine
> over serial) working in -CURRENT on my Ultra 2 using the patches
> recommended to me by Marius Strobl (found here:
> http://alchemy.franken.de/~marius/zs_nwo.diff)
>
> Anyways, they work now, and after rebooting a second time after
> rebuilding the kernel with the patches applied to the zs driver, I get
> garbage thrown into the console before I get the usual FreeBSD prompt
>
> -----[snip]-----
>
> Starting inetd.
> Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
>
> Sun Dec 19 04:17:58 CST 2004
> ]:Fre oSp/sparc64e(nres a/edteerovc/m) (scteen)ty
> lo:i :No such file or directory
>
> FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)
>
> login:
>
> -----[snip]-----
>
> While not something critical, it is slightly annoying, and ugly, anybody
> have any idea what is causing it? To make sure it wasn't a one time
> thing, I reset once again, and got this:
>
> -----[snip]-----
> Starting inetd.
> Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
>
> Sun Dec 19 04:24:46 CST 2004
>
> FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (screen)
>
> login: Dec 19 04:24:47 ares getty[402]: open /dev/ttyz0: No such file or
> directory
> Dec 19 04:24:47 ares getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or
> directory
> Dec 19 04:24:47 getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or directory
>
> FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)
>
> login:
> -----[snip]-----
>
> Just to be more certain than not, I reset yet again, and got a
> combination of the two! (Oh brother, this is getting annoying ;))
>
> -----[snip]-----
> Starting inetd.
> Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
>
> Sun Dec 19 04:27:30 CST 2004
>
> FreeBSD/sparc64
>                 Fr(aBSD/rpaec64 (ares.agentdero.som).agentdnero.com)
> g(ttyy0)
>
> login:
> FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)
>
> login: Dec 19 04:27:31 getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or
> directory
> Dec 19 04:27:31 ares getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or
> directory
>

> FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)
>
> login:
> -----[snip]-----
>
> If anybody has any other (more correct?) patches that I can use, that'd
> be wonderful (prior to the patch, console was completely unusable, so
> it's a step in the right direction)

Could you please test what happens if you disable the unused entries,
i.e. ttyz0 and ttya, in /etc/ttys? Just comment them out or change
the "on" to "off" in their entries. If you then still get garbage
characters intermixed please try if it helps when you change
"std.9600" to "3wire.9600" in the entry for ttyy0.
In the current state when using /etc/ttys as created by the patch
does the serial console work as expected if you log in once the
garbage was printed?