Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:12:25 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very odd tty hanging problem.

 Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 21:48:18, bicknell (Leo Bicknell) wrote about "Very odd tty hanging problem.":

> >From another window, try to kill the processes as a user, no effect
> with -9 or regular.  Try to kill them as root, no effect normal.  Kill
> them -9 as root, and all but the first shell will go away, here's
> ps output from an earlier occurance:
>
>   PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
> 20986  p0- IEs+   0:00.08 -tcsh (tcsh)

'E' means "trying to exit". It already finished any userspace executing,
is in kernel phase, and waits for something. "STATE" below shows wait
channel. But I saw many times processes in this state with _null_ wait
channel. Such semi-zombie is almost always responsible to remove via
terminating of its parent.

IMO most probable variant that there is some uncaught race condition.
But I failed to find it.

> And top of the same:
>
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 20986 bicknell   4   0  1344K   908K ttywai 1   0:00  0.00%  0.00% tcsh

/netch