Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:24:24 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean-fran=E7ois_Dalbosco?= <jdalbosc@enserg.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Userland driver?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 14:10:38 +0200, Jean-françois Dalbosco wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have written a piece of program that allow me to communicate
> with a scsi device. To do that i just fill CAM ccb that i send to the
> device using the passthrough driver. The problem is that i have to
> be ROOT for that.
>
> Could anyone tell me what to do to write now a program that would allow
> any user to communicate with this device?

You've got two choices:

 - make your program setuid root (which can potentially cause other
   security problems)
or
 - chmod 666 /dev/passN

The latter would probably be preferrable.  If the SCSI peripherals move
around in the system, you might want to hardwire that particular pass
device to the device in question.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry