Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:55:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jack@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Public IP Address Redirect to 2nd Server

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> At 11:02 AM 4.22.2002 -0500, Nick Rogness wrote:
> >On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running FBSD 4.5-release....
> >>
> >> The PROBLEM is that I need SSL too that serves up the online order
> >> pages for the other sites on the main server, but after weeks of tries
> >> (and cries) I just can't get frontpage to run with Apache+ssl (from
> >> ports) and I'm just not smart enough technically to make it work (and
> >> I live down here at the end of the road in So. Texas with very little
> >> tch help around).
> >
> >	Install Apache+mod_ssl, then add mod_frontpage from the ports.
> >

> Tried that (several times) and have it on the server #2, but FrontPage will
> not let me login to publish. If I could do that, I wouldn't need a second
> server at all.

	If it installs OK then it is probably a config issue you need to
	solve.  I'm running the exact same setup on a couple of our web
	servers.

> >	You need the netmask on the alias to be 255.255.255.255 if the
> >	alias IP and the main IP are on the same subnet.
> >

> >> REQUEST FOR HELP
> >> Would appreciate y'all taking a look at the info below and see if it looks
> >> like I did it right.
> >>
> >> RC.CONF
> >> ifconfig_rl1="inet XX.XX.XXX.137 netmask 255.255.255.248"
> >> ifconfig_rl1_alias0="inet XX.XX.XXX.138 netmask 255.255.255.248"
> >						  ^
> >	Should have a netmask of 255.255.255.255
> >

> You are right and I corrected to that netmask last night....
>
> The second server shows it is listening on both port 80 and 443, but
> packets not getting through yet from first server. Browser winds up loading
> the default site on first server instead of the second server. Can reach
> the second server web pages on http and https through the LAN which says
> that server is set up okay. It's listening on right ports but not hearing
> anything.

	Turn on logging to see what is really going on.

> Thus, the blockage must still be on the first server that is trying to
> redirect the public address to the server #2. Any other thoughts why
> packets are not hetting through. Firewall is okay with right ports opened.
> Ports 80 and 443 are open, but everything is diverted to port 8668 on natd
> anyway. Is there possibly some other thing I should do on the server #2 to
> get it to see/hear the packets....????

	No, server 2 should be OK.  What does `ipfw -a l` show?

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets