Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:16:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@sri.MT.net, phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> > I don't remember this; was this not on -current or -hackers where this
> > was discussed?
>
> I'm fairly sure it was on one of the above; my reading list is probably
> a small subset of yours so I'm surprised you don't recall it.  It's also
> not inconcievable that I'm hallucinating and that I was in fact
> participating in a conversation with a couple of fluffy blue cushions.

8-).

> > I like the idea of vendor-branching, but, for instance, the ability
> > to build cross environments or alternate processor architectures is
> > not handled well by the GNU "Configure" crap, which wants to "localize"
> > source to the target environment.  This is simply something that the
> > GNU folks "do badly".  It's hard to agree to not replacing code that
> > I believe is "done badly".
>
> It's lots easier to decide that you shouldn't have done it when the next
> version comes along and you have to merge their changes with yours.

This is only an issue if the vendor goes through serious code
reorganization between releases.  This generally does not happen
for an evolutionary product.

You handle this by shadowing the build tree and making from the vendor
tree.  You apply branch deltas, as necessary, to localise, and you
pass back, in their build tree layout format, the changes necessary
for your platform, for inclusion in the next release.

> However; if a third-party supplied product is to be included with a minimum
> of fuss, _particularly_ an excessively hairy one like GCC, it would be
> _desirable_ to have a means of mapping its own build functionality to
> that required by the current FreeBSD structure.

GCC has some recognizably broken behavior in its use of localization
instead of conditional compilation.  The need for localization
persists precisely because they have not dealt with the issues
by resolving them instead of adding localization data.

Actually, I agree with you for most conditionally-compiled packages,
it's just that the FLEX example was invalid, and anything that goes
through GNU configure is kind of bogus for any cross-platform shared
(aka "Read Only") source trees.

The error with that, I guess, is that the packages that are being
conditionally-compiled... don't cause the type of problem that this
is tying to solve.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---