Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:41:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        funkycolmedina <dustpan@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting an application into XWindows

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, funkycolmedina wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have yet to actually try this yet, but, I was wondering how to get an
> application or program into Xwindows?  I know I can edit the .xinitrc file,
> but, how do I go about running a program after XWindows has started?  Just
> through the xterm?

Yes, you can start X apps via an xterm.

Or, you can configure your window manager (fvwm2 in your case) to put an
icon somewhere on the screen you can click on to start the program.

> Also, is there something I can use so that when I press a mouse button,
> like the middle one, a menu will come up with available applications or
> programs?

I seem to remember fvwm2 offering this.... try clicking on the root window
(background) with each of your mouse butons.

> I am using fvwm2 right now, maybe I need to try another one.

If you like fvwm2, stick with it. I use Afterstep, but it is really just a
preference issue. You should read your fvwm2 configuration file and man
page.

> Thanks for your time.

Your welcome.

> Have a good holiday.
>
> Neill RR4

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.