Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:29:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 upgrade story and---Fwd: Cron <root@gurney> /usr/libexec/atrun

Hi,

Last weekend I upgraded my system from 2.2.8 to 3.1, mostly to get the
CAM SCSI stuff, so that I can use all 640M on my Fujitsu MO drive.

I upgraded using the binary distribution.  That mostly went fine,
although there was some hair involved in making the sysinstall program
find the distribution I'd downloaded.  Nothing I could do would make it
see the copy I'd put on an MSDOS C: partition, but it worked OK when I
copied it to a FFS directory.

I also ran into problems associated with running out of space on my 32M
root partition during the upgrade process.  I don't really understand
what happened here, but I found some sort of recursively unpacked
stand/sbin hierarchy under /mnt.  Thankfully the install has a few
other virtual terminals available, so I was able to clean things up as
it went, and keep it going.

The first couple of times I booted, it wouldn't get to multi-user
state, complaining of ".:no file descriptors".  I suspect that this was
the result of some not-quite right configuration in /etc/, because the
problem went away after I finished dealing with /etc/upgrade, in
single-user mode.

Just before I did the upgrade, I yanked 32M of the 48M of memory I had
in this box, because some testing had shown that it was broken.  While
I was trying to use the system with 16M (but buckets of swap space), it
would crash (reboot) quite easily, without a panic: message or any log
messages.  That was while running X, KDE and Netscape.  It was
appallingly slow, but I don't think that crashing is a particularly
satisfactory response.  I've since added another 16M of memory, and
things are much happier, but a few minutes ago I received the following
message: