Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:44:45 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@cruwe.de>
Subject:   Re: no port for Glassfish - does it make sense to quickly write one?

On 14 Dec 2012 18:18, "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@cruwe.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> using Netbeans I have learned that there is no port for the matching
> Glassfish application server.
>
> Having looked at the Netbeans port, making a port for Glassfish seems
> not to be a big deal, so I am a bit surprised that noone has stepped
> forward to contribute one.
>
> I am willing to be the one to step forward, however, I would like to ask
> beforehand whether there are any reasons I am not aware of that a port
> for Glassfish would be undesirable?

I had often been surprised at the omission of very useful software from the
Ports Tree.  I don't know of any that have been actually rejected; it is
simply a case of manpower vs the zillions of software packages out there.

Before you rush to make a port, check there isn't a previous version in the
Ports Tree that has been removed, or you may waste time reinventing the
wheel :)

http://people.freebsd.org/~crees/removed_ports/index.xml

Chris