Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:37:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        kline@thought.org (Gary Kline)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: K6 or 6x86 ?

> 	Can you clue me in to what kinds of m'boards the K5 works
> 	with?

Basically any Pentium motherboard, assuming it supports the clock
settings and voltage supplies the K5 requires.  Modern Pentiums
are mostly 3.3v, while all of the K5s I've bought are 3.52v.

Your safest bet is to only buy motherboards that have instructions
for the K5 processor; I think the ASUS motherboards do.  Most of
the systems I've built use motherboards from "VTI", they are really
quite good, and the prices are low.  Their current "workstation"
motherboard uses the Intel 430VX PCI chipset, has 512K of cache
soldered to the motherboard, and goes for $74 at my supplier.  An
up-to-date version of this with support for the K6/233 (needs 2.8v
supply) is $85.

The ASUS motherboard you're looking for is probably the P55T2P4S;
it's the same board as their general "workstation" T2P4 board with
the SCSI system added.  Their web page for this board:

	http://www.asus.com/products/specs/mb/P55T2P4S-spec.asp

says "Rev 1.2 or later supports AMDŽ K5 PR75-166".  I assume you're
pretty safe on this one.

> 	.....  I'm aiming to upgrade my old tower system and am
> 	looking for the ASUS (?) board with the built-in SCSI
> 	adaptor.   This means CPU,  and RAM, new video card (probably)
> 	and a large ( > 3GB SCSI) drive.  I have a 1.0 drive
> 	in the case.
>
> 	BTW, thanks for clearing up this matter.  I'd thought that
> 	the K5 was equivalent to the 486...

Many people on the questions list seem to confuse the K5 with 5x86 --
I've even seen references to 5k86 and K5x86, neither of which exist.
The K5 is a great bargain for Pentium-class performance, and I'm a
great lover of bargains.  I'd much rather have two fairly fast
computers than one screaming fast computer.  ;^)