Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:47:50 -0400
From:      Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..
References:  <CACqU3MVh6shncm2Vtqj9oe_HxowWscCZ1eJf0q2F%2B=t_xKKBfQ@mail.gmail.com> <31A0DCE7-3B93-41BC-805A-E0B163892112@bsdimp.com> <CACqU3MVy65ck%2Bb8TKXwfXnBV9iuFzj%2ButRBH4Ecg6XDz3Vg5kQ@mail.gmail.com> <5C18109D-E7A8-4868-BEA9-26B63360BB24@bsdimp.com> <CACqU3MUcbozpyqRLUS91p-%2BXANsisLoHzYpbQ8KjCr02=kMHYg@mail.gmail.com> <8048FFC5-6952-49FC-849D-EA1A5675ACBE@bsdimp.com> <CACqU3MVVDSo8fNmCcCm0dyq6skOf%2BJ_9bUWmxpBi137FD=efyg@mail.gmail.com>

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

hat the ivar looks like, because the interface is totally private to the bu=
s.  So long as it returns the right thing for any key that's presented, it =
doesn't matter quite how things are done.

ues.  If the Ivar keys don't overlap, then there's no problems at all.  Cer=
tainly less hackish than not using them at all.  Since dev0 knows the layou=
t of the ivar that it set on its child, this presents no problems at all.  =
It would return the values from A from the right part of the ivar, and thos=
e from B in the right part.  Apart from the coordination of Ivar numbers, a=
s I outlined in my last post, there's no issue here.

>>> I think we should not be talking about the same API here. I have no
>>> idea what you mean by "the key to value translation", nor "Ivar
>>> numbers". What I refer to is that device_set_ivars() /
>>> device_get_ivars() acts on a single instance variables from `struct
>>> device': `ivars'. In that case, I do not really see how to set that
>>> specific field to two distinct values for each interfaces.
>>
>> We are talking about the ivar interface.  You are just misunderstanding =
how it is used.

> yes I indeed did... silly, silly me :-)

Actually, no. I wasn't that silly, neither was I misunderstanding
anything beside how *you* wanted it to be used, which is, I sorry to
say, unacceptable. The last thing I want is to pollute an interface
with a single-purpose, hand-crafted, bus. I was to just throw away all
that ivar stuff and go into hinted child configuration for now,
waiting for FDT... but of course, I figured out after a few hours that
hinted child attachment requires `bus_hinted_child' to be set in the
parent, as does bus_enumerate_hinted_children() / bus_generic_attach()
to explicitly pollute my code. All this stuff should be done
implicitly to support N:1 interfaces/client relationship. N
*independent* interfaces being provided by a single driver; of course,
I'm not even going back to require those interface being provided by
multiple drivers, it is already a dead end.

I am not even sure any driver in the tree provides more than one interface.=
..

For whatever reason, I am more and more thinking that this all
new-bus[0] stuff is *way* overkill, static, bloated at will, and
missing critical features; a huge PITA to use, for the intended
purpose.

/me pissed.

 - Arnaud

[0]: damn, why is it even called "newbus", this stuff is 14 years old.
It really belongs to a museum, not production code...