Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2018 15:47:57 +0300
From:      Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.net>
To:        Takanori Watanabe <takawata@init-main.com>, freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lenovo P51 and Intel Bluetooth 8265

Takanori Watanabe wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:40:47AM +0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm seeing the following problem on Lenovo P51 laptop with "Intel
>> Bluetooth 8265" (as identified by Linux):
>>
>> ubt0: ubt_ctrl_write_callback:782: control transfer failed: USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
>> ng_hci_process_command_timeout: ubt0hci - unable to complete HCI command
>> OGF=0x3, OCF=0x3. Timeout
>>
>> The device in question:
>>
>> ugen0.7: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0a2b> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
>> spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
>>
>>     bLength = 0x0012
>>     bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>>     bcdUSB = 0x0200
>>     bDeviceClass = 0x00e0  <Wireless controller>
>>     bDeviceSubClass = 0x0001
>>     bDeviceProtocol = 0x0001
>>     bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
>>     idVendor = 0x8087
>>     idProduct = 0x0a2b
>>     bcdDevice = 0x0010
>>     iManufacturer = 0x0000  <no string>
>>     iProduct = 0x0000  <no string>
>>     iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
>>     bNumConfigurations = 0x0001
>
> I have never succeeded to use bluetooth on Intel WiFi.
> I used external USB dongle.

It's sad, I'll look into what linux drivers are doing then.

>> I noticed that if I boot into Windows, and then back in FreeBSD
>> *without* shutting down the laptop, errors seem to be gone (I haven't
>> tested that it actually work, and now the Windows partition is gone, sigh).
>
> I tried boot windows and select reboot and select FreeBSD partition,
> but I still receive HCI reset error.
> How did you do that?

TBH, this laptop had Windows 10 installed, and I used bluetooth to
connect keyboard/mouse, so all drivers were installed/used.  Then I
installed FreeBSD on top of it, all without shutdown, and I didn't get
errors while booting installer or installed system.  It's only when I
did finally poweroff it I started getting these errors on boot.