Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:59:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum and qmail (RE: qmail IO problems)

:Yes maxusers stopped the dmesg errors....it seemed. Only thing I do not
:like to much about postfix is that it only tries one MX record and then
:does not try any others...."default"....yes there is still backlog with
:#'s I gave you. Right now 8 min to get an email from sending...I have
:another machine here still with qmail on it....going to try to evenly
:distribute the mail between them and see how it goes. I cannot get you
:stats from linux box because i wiped it out with freebsd....I will do
:everything in my power to keep this box freebsd. Why qmail and linux was
:handling the load I will never know now but regardless.....with 600 megs
:being pushed a day with all that included backlog .....how many megs do
:you think one ide drive can handle will be the biggest question to tackle
:over next few days.
:
:...
:
:Per-Hour Traffic Summary
:    time          received  delivered   deferred    bounced     rejected
:    --------------------------------------------------------------------
:    0000-0100        9788       9514        373        430          5
:    0100-0200        5800       5782        374        352          1
:    0200-0300        6438       6951        553        361          0
:    0300-0400       11497      10192        591        420          0
:...
:    0800-0900       12691       9925        922        452          2
:    0900-1000       12174      12354       1205        645          2
:    1000-1100       13884      10220        837        465          1

    It looks like you are maxing out at 13000 or so emails per hour,
    which is 3.6 a second.

    Well, that accounts for the disk activity :-)

    Its too bad you don't have stats from when the box was running Linux,
    it's difficult to determine whether there was actually a problem with
    the mail flow without knowing what the box was capable of prior to
    putting FreeBSD on it.  I really can't imagine the linux box doing
    any better short of turning off fsync().

    --

    When mail is going in and out at this rate, there are a bunch of
    things you need to tune to optimize things.  I do not know much

    As for the rest of the system, I recommend the following:

	* You want at least two mail machines (as you indicated above you
   	  intend to test with two machines.  I recommend that you use at
	  least two machines *permanently*).

	  It is fairly easy to scale mail systems by adding machines.  If
	  you scale this way, you do not have to spend money on RAID
	  subsystems or multiple disks.  However, to make the most use of
	  the cpu power on each individual machine you may want to throw
	  in multiple disks and either stripe them together, or run
	  multiple queue directories (one queue directory per disk).

	  Having multiple mail machines has many advantages, not the least
	  of which being that you can take one down for maintainance without
	  interrupting your entire flow of mail.  Just have two MX records
	  (at the same MX priority), one pointing to each host.

	* You want to run a recursive named for DNS lookups locally on
	  each mail machine.  Do not point resolv.conf to an outside
	  machine.  Do not restart the named -- let the cache build up.

	* I recommend SCSI over IDE, especially for the random-seek/write
	  situations that you have here.

    A 2U VALINUX box running FreeBSD with two or three medium sized SCSI
    drives is a good base unit, then scale up from there by adding more
    machines.  Multi-queue (one queue per drive) is recommended rather then
    striping them all into a single filesystem.

					-Matt