Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:51:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WangDat 3100 SCSI tape

On Tuesday, 11 August 1998 at  0:13:30 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> I got a new tape, to make sure that wasn't the problem.  I have the
>>> density set to "X3B5/88-185A", Blocksize variable.  I tried to tar my
>>> home directory onto it, which has more than 100M now.  I get about 20
>>> files into that, I get to a leftover kernel, and:
>>>
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> chuckr/.login
>>> chuckr/.addressbook.lu
>>> chuckr/kernel
>>> tar: can't write to /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
>>
>> This should have been accompanied by a message on the console.  Check
>> /var/log/messages to see it again.
>
> Here's the log message:
>
> Aug 11 00:18:09 moon st0: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x5f000 asc:c,0 Write error
> sks:80,1
> Aug 11 00:18:09 moon st0: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x1 asc:c,0 Write error
>
> The same error seems to occur every time, even though the tape was
> changed out (twice).

This can also happen as the result of dirty heads or faulty
electronics--in my experience, at least as often as with bad tapes.
Is the drive new?  If not, have you cleaned the head?

>> The fact that it listed the files doesn't mean that they got written.
>> tar first blocks them, and then tries to write the blocks to tape.
>>
>>> I'm doing this as root.  I chose the density not because of the
>>> name, but because it numerically matched the density called out in
>>> the drive specification (I located that and downloaded it).
>>
>> Does it make any difference?  What happens if you don't set a density
>> at all?
>
> I've set the density on /dev/st0ctl.0, to serve as a default on rst0. I
> don't set density in the tar command (I don't think I can). I've tried
> blocksizes of variable, 512, and 8192, and a couple different densities.
> Seeing as how the densities and blocksizes are defaulting, I don't see
> what "What happens if you don't set a density at all" could mean to me.
>
> I use as tar command "tar cvfb chuckr b #" (#=blocksize, or omitted for
> variable size blocks).  chuckr is my home dir.

Looks reasonable, though I've given up specifying a block size.  But
that wouldn't be causing the problem you're seeing.

Greg