Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:51:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org>, "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xmovie 1.5.2 for FreeBSD

Trevor Johnson writes:
 > > You can still submit this as a Port by adding your patch file as another
 > > DISTFILE hosted at your site.  You'd then apply it via the post-extract
 > > target for example in your Makefile.  There are several Ports that use
 > > this method to apply meta-patches that are too large for (what is now)
 > > files/patch-*.
 >
 > I notice that xmovie 1.5.2.1 is already in the ports collection
 > (graphics/xmovie).

I've seen only a 1.3.1_1.  I would be disappointed to see a 1.5.2.1,
because I've looked carefully before investing my weekend in this
port.

I don't know if I'm willing to make an "official" port.  As I pointed
out in my previous message that patch corrects bugs present even in
the Linux version.  The author has been informed and I expect him to
come up with a new release soon (possibly including the FreeBSD port).

A port from that relese will be much smaller and cleaner.

In the meanwhile I'll try to decipher the ports jargon.  Maybe, making
a real FreeBSD port, is easier than it sounds.

BTW, the infamous CSS seems to work somehow.  It's slowing the program
to an unusable level but it seems to be doing something.  I have the
impression it's formally correct but not well integrated with the rest
of the code.