Date:      	17 Apr 1996 07:16:10 GMT
From:      hafner@suncog2.forwiss.tu-muenchen.de (Walter 'madhouse' Hafner)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Error in Handbook [was: Re: dynamic ppp]

>>On 17 Apr 1996 05:49:49 +0200, jbrann@panix.com (John Brann) said:

JB> Barry Masterson wrote...
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, David Paul Yeske wrote:
>>
>> > what should I have in /etc/sysconfig for hostname if I have a dynamic ppp
>> > address?

JB> Er, nothing.  If your using either pppd or (preferably) iijppp (a.k.a ppp)
JB> the ip address stuff is resolved at connection time, not boot time.

JB> I have a static address (through the same ISP as Barry...:-)), but even that
JB> has no impact on my /etc/sysconfig.

Right. Personally I use "10.0.0.1" as a default until I start ppp
... but that's not important.

The important bit is an error in the handbook! I don't have FreeBSD here
in my office so I have to qoute from memory. In the chapter about ppp it
says, that you have to do an "ifconfig" for the serial line. If you use
dynamic addresse, this is wrong!

When I first installed ppp I did exactly as described in the handbook,
got a connection and then there was just silence. I had to examine every
incoming and outgoing packet to trace the error.

Say, you ifconfig the modem port with x.x.x.5 --> x.x.x.1
At ppp startup the server gives you e.g. address x.x.x.7

Then all the packets are _still_ sent out with x.x.x.5, but the server
you connected to sends all the packets to x.x.x.7 ... and your machine
will throw away all incoming packets.

So DON'T do an ifconfig in /etc/sysconfig unless you get a static IP
number.

-Walter

Disclaimer: On the other hand, maybe I'm just stupid and missed
something obvious in my intallation ...
--
Walter Hafner_____________________________ hafner@forwiss.tu-muenchen.de
FORWISS Muenchen, FG Kognitive Systeme,  Raum O-134,  Tel: 089/48095-220