Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 13:24:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Smith <dsmith@n2.net>
To:        jbrown@vafibre.com (John Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: rdist Alternatives

> I have been working for a couple of weeks now to get rdist to work and have
> been very unsuccessful.
>
> So now on to the next option. I need to duplicate my password db to my
> secondary radius server. Are there other utilities that I can use to make
> this happen?
>
> rdist info -- In case someone is interested. I started with a 2.1.x box and
> was able to get it to transfer files from this machine to a 2.2.2 box but
> could never get it going the other way. So being the smart individual that I
> am I upgrade the 2.1.x box to 2.2.5 now -- well you guessed it...Now it
> doesn't work either way. When running with the debug flag it appears to bomb
> at the first rsh that is executed with a 'permission denied' at this point I
> have checked everything that I can think of and am at a loss. rlogin will
> work both way's but rsh and rcp AND rdist will not. (all die with the same
> message 'Permission Denied'). Nothing in the messages log, NOTHING
> AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!
>
> God I Love Unix!!! ;)

Are you trying to do this from the "root" account?  If you have "root"
remote login disabled, the system is not going to let you use an rsh
command such as rdist with the root account.

If you can't rlogin to the other system as root, this is probably the
problem.  Most FreeBSD systems have remote login as root disabled for
obvious security reasons.  I believe it is that way be default on most
later versions of FreeBSD.

Dave
    dsmith@n2.net