Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:44:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.edu.au>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kldload: Exec format error, is 4.2 problem?

In article by Daniel O'Connor:
> On 03-Jan-01 Warren Toomey wrote:
> > # kldload /usr/local/modules/rtc.ko
> >  kldload: can't load /usr/local/modules/rtc.ko: Exec format error
> >  Is this a 4.2-thing, or have I just done something wrong? I've
> >  searched the FreeBSD mail lists for clues, with no luck.
>
> Do you see any messages in the kernel log about missing symbols?
> Also, have you updated the port recently?
> Disclaimer: I don't use the vmware port :)
> Daniel O'Connor

No, I don't see any kernel messages in /var/log/messages. I downloaded
and used the vmware port for FreeBSD 4.2 after I'd moved to 4.2-STABLE.

Has there been any changes to kernel modules, magic numbers etc. that
would cause this problem?

I'll try reading through imgact_elf.c and compare magic numbers there
with the values in the .ko files.

	Warren