Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 1995 19:29:29 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        jaitken@vt.edu (Jeff Aitken)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more than 2 IDE drives?

> I have an extra 130MB IDE drive that I'd like to "give" to FreeBSD.
> Problem is, I already have 2 IDE drives in the system.  But, I do have 2
> IDE controllers (one is a PCI controller, the other is one of those
> IDE-multi-function-wonder cards that does serial/parallel/game/floppy
> in addition to IDE.  The existing 2 IDE drives are connected to the PCI
> controller, which uses addresses 0x1f0 - 0x1f7 (according to dmesg)
> which is expected.  It's also configured to INT A, which is mapped to
> system IRQ 15.

Something is wrong here. The first IDE controller has the IRQ on 14,
not on 15.

> Now, on the ISA IDE controller, I've set it so that it uses IRQ 14
> (which is unused), and to the secondary memory address, 0x170 - 0x177
> I know the card behaves properly because if I unplug the PCI card and
> boot FreeBSD (which lives on sd0) it recognizes the controller as wdc1,
> at 0x170 and irq 14.  I can then access the disk.

The second should be set to IRQ 15 or another free IRQ. And the kernel
config file need to be updated if something other than 15 is used.

> The problem occurs when I plug in the two cards together - FreeBSD
> *always* sees the PCI card and *never* sees the ISA card.  It reports
>
> wdc0 at ....
> wdc1 not found at 0x170

This may happen, if both cards are now on IRQ 14.

> and no line for the PCI controller, it still doesn't see the ISA
> controller, giving the "not found at 0x...." message.  It also doesn't
> find the PCI controller (which isn't surprising, but...)  I suppose it's
> worth asking here also if there's a specific line for a PCI IDE
> controller in the kernel config file, as opposed to the standard one for

No, all IDE controllers are handled in the moment the same way, there is
no distinction for the BUS type. Under post 2.0 ( -current ) there is
a difference for local bus controllers and maybe also PCI controllers.
But under 1.1.5.1 the driver doesn't detect any difference.

There may also be a bug in 1.1.5.1 that prevents you to use IRQ 15.
I don't remember exactly at which time this was fixed.
So if you have a chance to use other IRQ's for your ISA ide controller,
try that out. And don't forget to build a new kernel with the new
setting :-).

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe