Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 00:55:04 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   screen savings and ttys

I guess I'm confused about vidcontrol and screen savings.
Maybe someone here can clue me.

I want to be able to have my screen (ViewSonic 21PS) go into total
shutdown "green" mode when I stare blindly at it for more than 10
boring minutes.  So /etc/sysconfig's got:

  # Set blank time (in seconds) or "off" to turn it off (or NO for default)
  blanktime=600

  # Set to screen saver desired: blank, green, snake, star (or NO for none)
  saver="green"

Now, if I hang out with a glass tty (ttyv0), this works great.  The
screen saver kicks in nicely.

However, I usually run X all the time.  So, things get switched over
to ttyv3.  So I think I need to vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv3 now instead:

	# vidcontrol -t 600 < /dev/ttyv3

I've done this manually, as root, but I can't seem to have it make
any sort of difference.

The only screen saving that goes on is as a result of my .xinitrc:

    xset s 600 30 &
    xset s blank &

Am I confused?

Thanks,