Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:44:55 +0100
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        Karl-Heinz Wild <kh.wild@barga.com>
Cc:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/151896: increasing kmem_size in loader.conf panic

>=20
> Hi Remko
>=20
> I thought I've done that before.
> But I ran into problems when installing ports.
> Do I have add some setting before compiling into make.conf
> to prevent the architecture or the cpu?
>=20
> Thank you
>=20
> Karl-Heinz
>=20
>=20

Dear Karl,

If you take the 'less gentle' approach (and thus overwrite the =
base-system with 64bit binaries) you need
to rebuild your ports. As far as I am aware, there are no special things =
that should be considered in
doing so. I dont have any special flags on my native 64bit instance(, I =
did not overwrite it or anything!).

Can you please share what kind of problems you were facing? There might =
be ports that only work on
i386 instead of amd64, but even then there are 32bit compat libraries =
that should aid in running them
nevertheless (though not natively).

Thanks
Remko

--=20
/"\   Best regards,                        | remko@FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                      |
X    http://www.evilcoder.org/    | Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
/ \   ASCII Ribbon Campaign    | Against HTML Mail and News