Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 01:12:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jasoncfain@aol.com

Did you ever get this working?

The first system we tackled was the most troublesome. We started with a Dell PE
300 added a Radeon video card and a Sound Blaster card that we took from another
system. This install also went by the book with the troubles coming from lack of
documentation and interference from the built-in video card and NIC on the PE
300 motherboard.

In windows the sound card was setup using irq 5 and port 220. Some earlier posts
and the Dell on-line documentation suggested that irq 9 would work for the sound
card but we could never get that going. As we did not have the manual for the
card, we decided to go with want windows used (as that worked).

For this hardware the following was required:

In the BIOS:
  1) disable the embedded NIC using irq 10 (windows could not use this
     card anyway)
  2) assign irq 10 to the PCI Radeon video card.

Build a new kernel:

    device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
    device pcm

This worked. You can tell if the setup is okay (as opposed to any applications)
by

    cat /kernel > /dev/dsp0

Make sure the sound is turned down first, or choose a smaller file. So for this
system the non-PNP method worked after we resolved the irq issues.

Upon re-reading my notes and the docs, the Dell 7500 just worked as described in
the handbook. The boot just recognized Maestro-2 and did the correct thing. I
did put a load to the driver loader.conf, but we took it out as it was not
required.

If you are still struggling with this, I hope out experience helps. We never got
KDE working and settled on XMMS, a winamp port which works well for us as we
used winamp on the win9x systems.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com