Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:41:38 +1100
From:      paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6 hassles.

Hi all.

I am having troubles understanding and implementing an IPv6 network

either there is something wrong with my understanding, or there is something
wrong with my implementation/brain...

here is my understanding of what is IPv6 under freebsd.

in /etc/rc.conf
ipv6_enabled="yes" turns IPv6 on.

on boot, looks for a router to get info on IP address (address discovery)

if no router, fe80:: address created.

if router that speaks ipv6,
either globally unicast or site local (fec0::) addresses created.

because I am in the early stages of messing with this, and also because I want
to mess with the addresses etc., I am trying to set up 3 networks using site
local addresses.  I am manually assigning fec0::299/64, fec0::172/64 and
fec0::10/64 networks on the appropriate interface using

ifconfig vr0 inet6 fec0:0:0:10::/64 anycast
ifconfig vr0 inet6 fec0:0:0:10::/64 eui64

questions I have are...

why can't I ping6 between fe80:: addresses on the network?

why can't I get static routes to work for the fec0:: addresses (or perhaps a
better Q would be _how_ do I set up such routes?)

this is not a link layer or physical layer problem because the ipv4 stuff
works just fine...

btw, fec0::10/64 and fec0::172/64 are via wifi and an AP.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures