Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:04:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Norbert Aschendorff <norbert.aschendorff@yahoo.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Linux >= 3.3 as NFSv4 server

Norbert Aschendorff wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently noticed a problem in my network. I use some desktop
> machines
> there, two with Linux kernel (Debian and Fedora, both using Kernel
> 3.5)
> and a FreeBSD 9.0 (p4) machine.
> Some days ago, I updated the Debian machine from Kernel 3.2 to Kernel
> 3.5 (from the experimental branch, 3.5-trunk-amd64; I hope you aren't
> bothered by the Linux-specific parts).
> Running 3.2, the FreeBSD machine was able to mount an NFSv4 share on
> the
> Debian/k3.2 system properly, with UIDs etc (using nfsuserd on FreeBSD,
> rpc.idmapd on GNU/Linux). Since I updated to Kernel 3.5, the FreeBSD
> machine only shows 32767 as UID/GID for all files. `chown` works (even
> though without any effect, but without error, so nfsuserd works).
> This behavior occurred also when using Linux Kernel 3.3 or 3.4 on the
> Debian (server) machine. With the Fedora 17 machine (also Kernel 3.5,
> and the same users in /etc/passwd, of course), the same operation
> works
> without this errors, showing the UIDs and GIDs I want it to.
>
> 1. Am I right on this list, or should I ask first on a Linux-oriented
> list/forum?
> 2. Has anyone else noticed this or similar behaviour?
> 3. Any ideas about fixes, workarounds, known bugs?

Sounds like rpc.imapd isn't working correctly for that Debian system.
To check what's going on, capture some traffic (like an "ls -l" for a
directory) and then look at it in wireshark and see what is going on
the wire. The owner and owner_group names in the attributes should look like
<user>@<your.dns.domain>.

Usually the problem is that the domain name isn't set correctly.
(Typically, Linux systems default to "my.domain" or something
 like that.)

rick