Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 06:28:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        craig-burgess@home.net (Craig Burgess), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Everything worked!

> > make buildworld finished successfully (finally!)
> > make installworld finished successfully
> > kernel rebuild went flawlessly
>
> Almost meaningless in this context.
>
> > (...about that $20...)
>
> Hold your horses, cowboy.  You're nowhere close to winning that bet yet. :)

I'll declare him a winner if he can run this script without any failure:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/src
make world >make.out.1 2>&1
make world >make.out.2 2>&1
make world >make.out.3 2>&1
make world >make.out.4 2>&1
make world >make.out.5 2>&1

I've had to deal with debugging flaky hardware that hits in
make.out.3 or make.out.4 (Joe Greco had an ASUS PCI/I-486SP3
that took me over a week to find the bad cache chip and replace
it), but I've never seen a box get past 5 make worlds and still
have a hardware problem.

Order of replacing components on a Sig10/11 error is 1) memory,
2) Cache if possible, 3) Motherboard, 4) CPU.

Ohhh.. and my test room is usually kept at a nice warm 90 degrees
or so.  No cheating by keeping the box cool :-)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net