Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:54:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donating Copyrights?

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I'm not asking about copyright law, but about procedures regarding donating
> > them specifically to the FreeBSD project.
> >
> > As an example, if I develop an application, kernel module, bit of
> > documentation, advocacy flyer, etc and want to donate the copyright to that
> > material to the FreeBSD Project, does FreeBSD have an established process for
> > handling this?
>
> The procedure is really simple - just stick a copyright something like
> this on it:
>
>  * Copyright (c) 1995
>  *	Joe Blow.  All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer,
>  *    verbatim and that no modifications are made prior to this
>  *    point in the file.
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>  *
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JOE BLOW ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS
>  * OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
>  * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL JOE BLOW OR HIS HOUSEPLANTS BE LIABLE
>  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
>  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
>  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, LIFE OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
>  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
>  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
>  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
>  * SUCH DAMAGE.
>
> And you're done.  That's literally all there is to it.  You don't need
> to "assign the copyright away", you just need to use open licensing
> terms like the above for us to be entirely happy with it.
>
> - Jordan

(smile) I already understood the licensing part, I was just wondering
specifically about the copyright thing :)  So the FreeBSD project has no
interest in having copyrights donated directly to it?

     [ licia@o-o.org ] [ http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Alias : Ladywolf]
     [ Telnet to o-o.org and log in as bbs ]    [ ssh -l bbs -C o-o.org ]
     [        A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/         ]

  main(){int num[4]={1768122732,762265697,1919889007,103};printf("%s\n",num);}