Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:31:10 -0700
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH timeout settings

twig les wrote:
> Hey all, I think this is an easy one masquerading as a
> tough one....  My OpenSSH on my Free 4.4 Release box
> just lets me keep an open session indefinitely without
> any activity.  I've read man sshd and all sorts of
> other things but no mention.
>
> So the short version is: where do I lower the timeout
> of SSH?

If you are using login with ssh, then you can modify login.conf:

from man 5 login.conf

idletime
        time		   Maximum idle time before logout.

Read the manpage for more info and don't forget to run cap_mkdb if you
change login.conf.

Within sshd itself :

You need to add this to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

ClientAliveInterval n

Where n is the nuber of seconds.  0 (default) is unlimited and implied.

I'd use the sshd_config option and not login, but i don't use login w/
ssh.

HTH

--Larry