Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:11:37 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   newsyslog question

In the past, I've used my own routines to rotate Web logs, but
have decided to try doing it via the more standard newsyslog
utility. Part of rotating Apache logs is to send a signal
to the process to let it know that its log file must be
reopened. SIGHUP works, and I believe that SIGUSR1 does
as well but more gracefully.

The man page for this utility specifies the format
of a line in /etc/newsyslog.conf, but doesn't say whether
signals (if you send them to the process to let it know that
its logs have been pulled out from under it) must be specified
numerically or can be specified by name. Will the following
line work properly for an Apache Web server?

/var/log/website-access_log           644  5     *    $W6D0 Z  /var/run/httpd.pid SIGUSR1

--Brett